Thursday, August 14, 2008

Breast Cancer


Today, I learned the news of 2 people that have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer.
It's come as a big shock. The 1 lady is so dear to my heart that I can't imagine life without her. She is my rock. She stood by me when my Mom passed away. She stood by me when I married Keith. She is my person!

The other lady is a sister of a dear friend of mine. My thoughts & prayers go out to your whole family Leila.

One never knows what the right thing is to say to someone diagnosed so I looked for the words in the computer and with a little help came up with this ...

What do you do if your dearest friend or family member has cancer? You support their choice. You listen to why they have decided to take the course of action they are on, and you stand by them. You don't discredit the treatments, you support their ability to trust and believe in the treatment.

The mind-body connection is very strong and it is proven that if a patient believes that they will heal using a certain treatment, their chances are much better that they will heal using that treatment. You can be afraid with them, you can be furious at the cancer with them, you can be sad with them. But when it comes to the treatments they are going through, you stand by them and help them to believe.

Believe that they will get well. Believe that they will survive and thrive. Believe that you will too.

Mother T & Farzanah my thoughts and prayers are with you both today. While you work things out and wait for better times to start - I wish you the smiles of family and friends to lift your spirits and warm your heart.

Tomorrow, I will phone for an appointment for a mammogram! I encourage you reading to do the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cancer is so very very unfair. So sorry it is affecting people you know and love

Char said...

I also have two people in my life who have or have had b.c. It is a terrible tragedy! I'm sorry to hear you are facing this too!